Saved as a young by at Second Baptist Church in College Park, Charles Evans would ordained at 17 years old on June 21, 1941. It was appropriate as to be Father’s Day, since during his ministry Evans has served as a spiritual father to so many.
During his senior year of high school, Evans became pastor of Bethsaida Baptist Church in south Fulton County, continuing that role through his freshman year at Mercer University. Later on in his college years he also served as pastor of Pitts Baptist near Cordele and Arabi Baptist Church.
While attending Southern Seminary he was pastor of Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church in Todd’s Point, KY. Returning to Georgia after graduation, he served as associational field worker in Houston Baptist Association in Vienna. From there a 4.5 year stay as pastor at Marshallville Baptist Church near Fort Valley was followed by an associate pastorate position at First Baptist Church in Forest Park. He would later become the first pastor of that church’s mission, Ash Street Baptist Church.
In 1961 Evans became pastor of Fifth Avenue Baptist Church in Rome, serving there for more than nine years before assuming the position of director of missions for Floyd County Baptist Association, where he would stay for 20 years until his retirement in 1990. He went on to be interim pastor of Oak Grove Baptist Church in Cedartown, and two terms as interim pastor at Lakeview Baptist Church in Rome. Today, Evans resides at Winthrop Court Assisted Living in Rome and until recently taught a weekly Bible study and preached on Fifth Sundays.