Before Georgia Baptists begin the search for a new Executive Director, the Search Committee charged with evaluating candidates wants to be sure their work is undergirded with prayer.
That’s the word from Committee Chairman Bob Jolly as he lays the groundwork for the task of finding a successor to retiring Executive Director J. Robert White.
To that end, the Search Committee has released a Prayer Guide to assist churches in asking for discernment from God throughout the process.
Jolly, who serves as pastor of Cumming First Baptist Church, said that prior to the first meeting he is “asking that every Georgia Baptist seek God on our behalf. There are top ten things I am asking you to pray” with the assistance of the prayer guide.
The requests include items range from “deep spiritual cleansing” to “supernatural wisdom” to being led to the appropriate candidate “in God’s perfect time” with no timetable but God’s.
Jolly stressed that the Committee’s first meeting will be focused on prayer.
“With the help of the Georgia Baptist Mission Board staff we are also planning a day of prayer in multiple locations simultaneous to the committee’s first meeting. We want you praying with us as we meet and pray together,” he added.
The date, time and locations of the simultaneous prayer meetings will be announced as they are finalized.
Jolly concluded by saying it is “an honor and a joy to be part of the Baptist family in Georgia. I look forward to all that God will do through us during this transition period. Thank you for your prayers.”
White, 71, celebrated his quarter-century with the Georgia Baptist Mission Board during last November’s annual meeting. His Dec. 31 retirement will cap 26 years of strong support for the Cooperative Program and leading the Mission Board to new heights of missions and evangelism.
- Psalm 66:18, John 15:5, Ephesians 5:18 | Pray for deep spiritual cleansing and fullness of the Holy Spirit in each team member. Pray this for each member by name.
- Matthew 15:14 | Pray for keen supernatural discernment, wisdom and strength for the team chairman.
- Amos 3:3, Matthew 18:19 | Pray for powerful unity and oneness of spirit within the team.
- Proverbs 14:12, Isaiah 55:8‐9 | Pray for God’s clear direction in how resumes are collected, examined and interviews conducted. Ask God to bring the right person to the attention of the team.
- I Corinthians 2:10‐16 | Pray for the Search Team to have God’s wisdom in all the questions and information they share with the prospective Executive Director. Spirit‐led thoroughness is essential.
- Pray for the team to have supernatural wisdom as to the unique characteristics and traits most needed for our churches, associations and mission board staff.
- Ephesians 5:17 | Pray for the team to have no timetable but God’s. They must be determined to find God’s perfect will in God’s perfect time.
- Pray for the future Executive Director and his family to have absolute certainty in their sense of call to our churches, associations and mission board staff.
- Pray for the prevention of Satan’s influence in misleading or rushing the search team. Pray for a powerful hedge of protection around the Team and their families.
- I Corinthians 1:10, Acts 2:1 | Pray for God’s guidance in how the future Executive Director is presented to our churches, associations and mission board staff. Pray for God’s strength and guidance in the Executive Director’s former ministry.