After reading way too many opinions about gun-control and what should be done in the wake of the latest school shooting, I thought it might be beneficial to define a couple of things:
- Fully-automatic guns – These are guns which continually fire rounds of ammunition (bullets) as long as the shooter keeps constant pressure on the trigger. These weapons are illegal to purchase.
- Semi-automatic guns – There are guns, which will automatically load the bullet in the chamber after a round is fired, however, the shooter must continually pull the trigger to fire these.
- Bump stock – A device put on semi-automatic weapons, which, virtually makes them automatic.
Now that we have an understanding of the language, let’s discuss some guns, which are semi-automatic. All three of my boys (ages 7, 9, 11) can shoot a .22 rifle, which is semi-automatic. In fact, if they were to go squirrel hunting, this is the gun they would use. Individuals all over our nation use .22 semi-automatic rifles to hunt or rid their gardens of pests. Further, I own a 9mm pistol, which is also semi-automatic. Pistols, like this, are often used to kill pests (snakes, rats, etc). Moreover, pistols, like this, make good home-defense weapons.
The weapon used in the most recent shooting was a type of AR-15, which is also a semi-automatic weapon.
For the sake of argument, let us say, that Congress passes a law, tomorrow, which would make AR-15s illegal to sell. Does, anyone reading this, honestly believe this would deter evil people from purchasing AR-15s illegally? Further, does anyone truly believe, making AR-15s illegal to sell, would somehow stop evil people from using a .357 SIG semi-automatic pistol to perpetrate evil? One could argue that the .357 SIG would do far more damage at close range (the way most school shootings happen) than the AR-15. Moreover, the endless number of clips one could carry with him/her makes this pistol just as deadly (some would argue more deadly).
In other words, for those who know a little bit about guns, outlawing certain semi-automatic weapons, without outlawing all of them, does nothing for the current culture in which we live; and more importantly, outlawing all semi-automatic weapons is quite simply undoable (this is not a reality for those who have large parcels of land or want to protect their homes). Not to mention the fact, that gun ownership deters violent crimes. The U.S. is not even in the top 25 countries when it comes to murder rates. And all 25 of those countries have much stricter gun laws, prohibiting the citizenry from protecting itself. So what can be done?
- First and foremost we must recognize our countries’ need for God! As Christians we know we are wrestling against spiritual evil. Our culture is rife with sinfulness. A culture that has a low view of life, will have a low view of God. We truly need an Awakening. But what can we do today? Pray. Truly pray for an Awakening. But also Go! If you want to honor those precious children who lost their lives, then go tell someone God loves him/her today! Go and share the Good News of Jesus!
- Pray for the families who lost children this week. I cannot imagine the horror they are enduring. Stop and take time to pray now.
- Call your Senator and Congress Person and ask them to support legislation, which, would regulate bump-stocks (or similar devices) and require better mental illness background checks. The NRA has supported both of these initiatives. BUT TELL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE TO STOP THERE! The reason we don’t have better laws, to date, is not because of the money of the NRA; it is because of the idiocy of Congress. Asking Congress to pass “common-sense” legislature is akin to asking a pig to fly. It just seems impossible for them (look at the healthcare debacle). It is not difficult to imagine Congress having a perfectly good bill that makes the selling of bump stocks illegal and makes the use of the mentally ill medical records available for background checks; but then they desecrate their own good legislation with additional special interest group’ amendments that makes the legislation impassable. You want to stop gun-violence? Fix D.C.
- While speaking to your representative please remind him/her to fix the FBI. There is no excuse for allowing so many glaring “misses” in this latest debacle. I am grateful for the FBI, but it has sadly become a pawn of the deep state.
- Use your energies to protect the innocent! Use the passion you and I now have, because of the latest act of cowardice and murder, to protect not just the children in our schools, but the children in the wombs. There is a huge difference in these two segments of society. It is illegal to murder one (children in schools), but not the other. I can hear many arguing that this is about those who were shot…to which, I respond, to me it is about them and others. It is about LIFE. In fact today 1,780 children were brutally struck down. And another 1,780 will be murdered tomorrow.
You want to protect the innocent children, then push Congress to, at least, pass legislation, which would ban abortions after 20 weeks! This is very doable and is the right thing to do, no matter what the polls say. However, 76 percent of Americans now favor more restrictions on abortions and this number has consistently increased. As more people, through the advancement of science, realize infants in the womb are scientifically living beings, and capable of feeling pain, then the more opposed society will be to abortion. When people see images of these happy infants in the womb they become more opposed to the torturous murder we have legalized in this nation. Just the thought of infants having their limbs ripped off in the womb nauseates most people. Further, the very idea of burning these infants alive, for over an hour in the womb, through chemical solutions, is too much for most Americans to stomach. We now have the most Pro-Life President in our nation’s history (as dubbed by Washington Examiner and NY Post). We now have a LARGE majority of Americans who agree. It is time to act.
Finally, the public “shaming” of those who support the 2nd Amendment, brought about by the latest incident, has pushed me to make a public statement on other positions I hold dear. Because, this “evangelical shaming” extends to those who support the current President and “nationalism.”
I am fully aware that it is currently popular in the SBC to affirm positions, which, I cannot affirm. It is popular to take positions on gun control, which are not too liberal and not too conservative. It is popular to be opposed to both the NRA and the ACLU. It is also currently popular, to be against border security, because, somehow, being for border security is seen, as being against sharing the gospel with all other nations and peoples in the world. It is currently popular to be opposed to the most Pro-Life, Pro Religious Freedom President we have ever had. It seems currently popular to not be opposed to the NFL kneeling, because we don’t want to be known as “nationalists,” as that, somehow, takes away from our professed faith. Further, while rightly standing against the confederate flag as a symbol of slavery and hate, it has become popular to ignore that it also symbolizes heritage and states’ rights to many people. Finally, it is currently popular to affirm only the Elect can be saved.
I get it. I will not be popular in the current SBC. I will never be popular with the secular media. But quite honestly, I have no desire to be popular with anyone. I have a desire to be as faithful as I can to Scripture and my Savior. So, I do not support any legislation, which would infringe on the 2nd Amendment. The moment the 2nd Amendment is compromised, then the 1st Amendment will be compromised even more. I stand opposed to all forms of racism, even if it is done behind a badge. I have a very close friend whose skin pigmentation is different from mine and yet every time he comes over my kids see him as part of our family. They don’t see the color of his skin…they see the goodness of his heart. I stand for history and against any revisionism, even if it is done for the sake of appeasing society. I stand for border security and, in fact, affirm that our President has a biblical responsibility to protect his constituency (Romans 13). I am grateful for the service of our men/women in blue. I am also very grateful for the most Pro-Life President our nation has ever had! I am proud of our nation and its Christian heritage, and will stand in honor of those who gave up their lives to protect our freedoms, which allow us to worship without fear of persecution. I am grateful for those who serve today! Praise God for a country that allows us such freedoms! I believe in the omnibenevolence of our God and am so grateful that His very nature constrained Him to love everyone and thus to provide salvation for anyone who would accept it.
AND, I join hands with all SB to STAND FOR THE INFANTS IN THE WOMB and our CHILDREN in our SCHOOLS!
Here I Stand. For the sake of Truth, I can do no other! I have a feeling there are many others who stand with me, who are weary of the ivory tower shaming. Let not your heart be troubled my friend, we may feel the SBC left us, but truth has not!