DULUTH — Following a video launch on Sunday, Aug. 2, Georgia Baptists are encouraged to participate in a week-long emphasis on prayer through six areas of emphasis Aug. 3-9.
Described as a “solemn assembly,” Pray Georgia will focus on six areas: repentance, salvation, unity, healing, renewal, and wisdom. Each day, a Georgia Baptist pastor will provide devotional materials and a video on a particular area of focus. Those churches located in the pastor’s area are encouraged to fast for that day as well.
The schedule for devotionals and those focus areas are:
Monday, Aug. 3
Repentance – Kyle Walker, pastor, Cartersville First Baptist (NW)
- Personal confession of sin and repentance
- Acknowledging sins of the church
- Acknowledging the brokenness of our society
Tuesday, Aug. 4
Unity and Harmony – David Mills, pastor, Beech Haven Baptist Church (NE)
- Unity within the body of Christ
- More harmony among Georgia’s 10 million residents
Wednesday, Aug. 5
Healing – Al Wright, pastor, First Baptist Waynesboro (EC)
- Physical healing and protection from COVID-19
- Emotional healing from the trauma of injustices, riots, and unrest
- Spiritual healing for the Body of Christ
Thursday, Aug. 6
Salvation – Emory Berry, Jr., pastor, Greenforest Community Baptist Church (WC)
- The root cause of all our problems is sin. Salvation is the only cure for our sin problem.
- Pray for a record number of Georgians to be saved. Pray for churches to be more evangelistic.
Friday, Aug. 7
Spiritual Renewal – Ken Bevel, membership & local missions pastor, Sherwood Baptist Church (SW)
- Pray for Christians to experience personal revival.
- Pray for churches to be filled with the Spirit and energized.
- Pray for another Great Awakening of God’s church.
Saturday, Aug. 8
Wisdom – Chris Winford, pastor, First Baptist Brunswick (SE)
- Wisdom to navigate reopening churches, small groups, children’s ministry, etc.
- Wisdom to be peacemakers in an angry world
- Wisdom to be God’s ambassadors.
On Sunday evening, Aug. 9 Georgia Baptist Convention President Robby Foster, pastor of Northside Baptist Church in Valdosta, will present a short charge encouraging Georgia Baptists to follow through on what God taught them during the preceding week. Javier Chavez, pastor of Amistad Cristiana International Church in Gainesville, will also present a similar charge in Spanish. Both will be broadcast on the Georgia Baptist Facebook page.
The devotionals as well as videos of pastors will become available before the week of the emphasis.
Marcus Merritt, Pastor Wellness catalyst for the Northwest Region, urged Georgia Baptists to join together for the event.
“2020 has brought great challenges and crises. In desperate times like these, God’s people are instructed to cry out to Him for forgiveness, help, and hope,” he said. “The Prophet Joel said, ‘Declare a holy fast; call a sacred assembly. Summon the elders and all who live in the land to the house of the Lord your God, and cry out to the Lord’ – and that is exactly what we plan to do.
“The week of Aug 2-9, Georgia Baptists will follow Joel’s command.”