Ken Alford, pastor of Crossroads Baptist Church in Valdosta, has been named to serve on the Committee on Resolutions for the June 13-14 Southern Baptist Convention annual meeting in Phoenix.
Alford, senior pastor at Crossroads since May 2005, joins other members named by SBC President Steve Gaines, pastor of Bellevue Baptist Church near Memphis. The appointment, announced March 29 in Baptist Press, is keeping in provision of SBC Bylaw 20 that members must be named 75 days prior to the start of the annual meeting.
Barrett Duke, executive director of the Montana Southern Baptist Convention, will serve as committee chairman, per Gaines’ appointment.
Alongside Alford, other committee members are:
- Felix Cabrera, co-founder, Hispanic Baptist Pastors Alliance; pastor, Iglesia Bautista Central, Oklahoma City, a mission of Oklahoma City’s Quail Springs Baptist Church
- Linda Cooper, national president of Woman’s Missionary Union; member, Forest Park Baptist Church, Bowling Green, KY
- Jason Duesing, provost and associate professor of historical theology, Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Kansas City; member, Antioch Bible Baptist Church, Gladstone, MO
- David Leavell, pastor, First Baptist Church, Millington, TN
- Matthew McKellar, associate professor of preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas; member, First Baptist Church, Dallas, TX
- Jeffrey Riley, professor of ethics, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, New Orleans; member, Edgewater Baptist Church, New Orleans
- Rolland Slade, pastor, Meridian Southern Baptist Church, El Cajon, CA
- James Smith, vice president of communications, National Religious Broadcasters, Washington, D.C.; member, Covenant Community Church, Fredericksburg, VA
Resolutions may be submitted starting April 15
The committee’s composition, according to Bylaw 20, must include at least two members who served the previous year, with Cooper, Duesing, Slade, and Smith meeting this requirement. Bylaw 20 also stipulates that the committee include at least three SBC Executive Committee members. This year they are Alford, Cooper, and Slade.
The procedure for submitting resolutions is as follows according to Bylaw 20:
- Proposed resolutions may be submitted as early as April 15 but no later than 15 days prior to the SBC annual meeting, giving the Resolutions Committee a two-week period in which to consider submissions. The committee also may propose resolutions for consideration during its deliberations. Resolutions may not be submitted during the annual meeting.
- Proposed resolutions must be accompanied by a letter from a church qualified to send a messenger to the SBC annual meeting certifying that the individual submitting the resolution is a member in good standing.
- Proposed resolutions preferably should be submitted by email or mailed to the Committee on Resolutions in care of the SBC Executive Committee, 901 Commerce St., Nashville, TN 37203. The drafts must be typewritten, titled, dated, and include complete contact information for the person and his or her church.
- No person will be allowed to submit more than three resolutions per year.
- If a properly submitted resolution is not forwarded by the Committee on Resolutions to the SBC annual meeting, a two-thirds vote of messengers would be required to bring the proposed resolution to the convention floor.
Additional reporting by Baptist Press.